The present site of First United Methodist Church of Farmersville is a beautiful and interesting place of worship. This effort began more than 150 years ago when several dedicated men of God saw a need for this denominational church in growing eastern part of Collin county. Rev. J. W. Chalk, minister in charge of the Rockwall Mission, organized the Methodist Episcopal Church of Farmersville late in 1856.
The original church met in a school house located west of the present city of Farmersville. There were less than ten charter members. In 1875, with interest growing in Methodism, an acre of land was secured and a new frame structure was completed at the cost of $4,000. One large area served as both Sunday School and sanctuary.
The first church building was torn down in March of 1902 in order to erect a beautiful new brick building. The corner stone was laid on November 3, 1902 and the first services in the new building were held on May 3, 1903. The windows in the building were of cathedral art glass. This beautiful building was destroyed by fire on December 29, 1924.
The corner stone of the present building was laid in October of 1925 and the first services were held in March 1926. This building has some of the most beautiful stained glass windows in Texas.